New To San Diego? Find Out Which Area Best Suits You
Here are a variety of suburbs in San Diego to help make your decision a little bit easier.
In North County:
- Encinitas: You’ll find Encinitas to be a charismatic beach-side community with quaint individual communities such as Cardiff-by-the-Sea, Olivenhain and Leucadia. Right off Highway 101 you will find the streets filled with great restaurants, bars and shops. It has all the charm of a small town in San Diego with many family friendly activities constantly going on.
- San Marcos: This is one of the fastest growing cities in the state. It is a little further inland, but still remains about a 15-20 minute drive to the beach. With new neighborhoods and shopping areas sprouting up all over. San Elijo, for example is always building something new. The area of San Marcos is pleasant and has many exciting endeavors available for any age.
- Escondido: This city remains to be the big daddy of North County suburbs. With numerous recreational areas for kids of any age this city is definitely family friendly. Being about 30 minutes from the beach, the area has a variety of areas for shopping, industrial and business. Agriculture is also a big part of this city.
In East County:
- Santee: In this inland city you will find just about everything you need without having to venture out too far. Recently is has become more of a metropolitan city with new housing and shopping areas. Outside of this though still remains tons of outdoor activity to do. Whether you enjoy biking, hiking or just enjoying the lovely outdoors, Santee has a lot to offer.
- La Mesa: You will find an assortment of amenities in this city around every corner. The downtown village area is the central focus of this cities charm. The area is also stacked with parks, schools, restaurants and business areas. Mount Helix is also an area where you will find beautifully crafted mansions looking over San Diego.
In Central San Diego:
- La Jolla: An alluring seaside community that curves up the San Diego coast. It is a hub for extravagant restaurants, shopping, homes and attractions. This is definitely a great place for that perfect San Diego view. At the top of bluffs you will find it overlooks the Torrey Pines Golf Course and the Pacific Ocean. This is a wonderful place to live with all aspects of a small town upscale beach community.
- Downtown San Diego: If you are looking for busy nightlife you will find the Gaslamp, Little Italy and East Village are the busiest areas of San Diego. Filled with businesses, condos and shopping on every street and entertainment only a short walk away. The downtown area is a melting pot of people from all over the world enjoying the city life San Diego has to offer.
- North Park/Hillcrest: A fantastic area of San Diego known for its artistic and creative charm. Filled with many antique stores, coffee shops and unique eateries with a warm and welcome feeling. Everything you could need is just a short walk away.
- Point Loma: A hilly peninsula neighborhood that is home to two military bases, a national monument, a university and great neighborhood and commercial areas for all your shopping needs. Point Loma is a great place to explore the rocky cliffs on the beach filled with tide pools and marine life on the shoreline. Experienced surfers and fishermen will find themselves loving Point Loma.
In South San Diego:
- Chula Vista/Eastlake: This city is definitely the second largest metropolitan area in San Diego. There are tons of major attractions here such as Knott’s Soak City, Cricket Wireless Amphitheater, Westfield Mall and Plaza Bonita. It has a vast amount of open space making it a major hub for new housing communities with family friendly appeal. There is something charming and unique to many of the neighborhoods in this city.
Choosing an area in San Diego that makes you feel at home, fits your lifestyle and family needs is a very important and tedious decision to make. Each area of San Diego differs from the next in special little ways, I hope this list makes your decision that much easier.